Sunday, August 2, 2009

Breaking Social Etiquette

At the airport, after midnight, in an enourmous line to get a boarding pass, I was growing impatient. Wearing jeans for the first time in weeks I stood there uncomfortable. I wanted to change but not lose my place in line, and all travelers know that leaving your bags unattended at the airport is one of the top five airport sins. I think it´s between trying to pass through the medal detector with your shoes on, and not flying first-class when you weigh over 300 pounds.

Despite the four young women speaking Spanish behind me, the American couple in front of me, and the rest of the line I took action. I pulled shorts out and laid them neatly on my bag, and took off my shoes. Then right there in line dropped my pants, and put on my shorts. I faced forward as I did to avoid eye contact with the women behind me. The four latinas didn´t say anything, but I have a feeling they were thinking, ¨Those shorts do look more comfortable.¨

Sometimes you have to be assertive in this world.

On the flight to Honduras I was wedged between two sleeping men. Unable to sleep as I had hoped I began watching the movie. I saw John Malkovich portray a washed-up magician fighting to hold unto a career already over. It was one of those movies like, The Weather Man, or more recently the animated Coroline, that when finished you just ask yourself, ¨Why?¨

The flight was was six and half hours long. I had no watch, but I figured with one movie down I still had over four hours to go. I was even more awake now, and desired to use the bathroom. But I was stuck. The man on the aisle was asleep and looked like the type of guy that didn´t plan to use the bathroom (or speak or move) the entire flight. I´m not totally sure he was a real person. I contemplated calling an attendant to help ask him to move, but instead I took action. Sitting there awake in frustration in a dark plane with everyone else asleep counting the seconds for over four hours was a torture I didn´t want to experience.

Without shoes on I reached over and presssed down on the zombie´s far armrest to test if it could support my weight without interferring with him. Then, on an airplane, I climbed over a complete stranger without waking him up. I went to the bathroom, pulled out my drugs, and climbed back into my seat. Again the man was unaware. With a feeling of accomplishment, a smile on my face, an empty bladder, and drug assistance eventually I too nodded off.

Sometimes you have to be assertive in this world.

3 comments:

Vickie Musni said...

I was missing you and now I miss you a little less. So thankful for technology! Love you Carlos!

Carla Chanliau said...

I bet the man was aware you did it. A Dutch couple did the same thing when I was asleep in a 12-hour flight from Malaysia to the Netherlands. It was only that I pretended to be still asleep after one of them accidentally stepped on my jacket sleeve. Didn't want to complicate things, you see?

Heather Deas said...

These are awesome stories. You certainly had an adventure!