Sunday, August 31, 2008

2008 Olympics: Closing Thoughts

I thought NBC did a fabulous job with the Olympics. However, I was still glad I recorded them and could fast forward later. For example, I didn’t have to watch a single commercial for Deal or No Deal. Did those of that watched the Olympics live eventually just give in and think, “Okay, I’ll watch it. Leave me alone.”
Of the few commercials I saw there was one I particularly enjoyed. Two youth soccer teams competed for the championship. They showed the winners celebrating with trophies and elation, while the losing team was left defeated and deflated. Then a parent on the losing team brought all the kids McDonalds and the emotions of the boys trade places. Also, in the spirit of the games, I liked the Visa commercials with Morgan Freeman.
I fast forwarded many of the preliminary events, and all of the medal ceremonies, until the last day during the gold medal ceremony for the Men’s Volleyball Team. I guess I got a little sentimental with the Olympics nearing the end, and I watched that one.
During one of the diving events a participant failed to do his best dive and the female commentator said, “They may need to add more water to the pool after that entry.”

One night I found myself watching women run a marathon.

Clearly, this is not a made for TV event.

I would have preferred to just see the highlights. It reminded me of other things that go on too long to enjoy watching them in their entirety like: golf, the closing ceremonies, and the Sex in the City Movie.
I got to go. I may be hallucinating. I think I just saw Jackie Chan sing a solo during the closing ceremonies.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

hi
hello
how was your day?
i liked your blog
you are fantastic!!!

really nice blog
fabulous fantastic
bye
take care
see you

B said...

nobody I know knows that I am on here. I kinda like to keep it that way. Its like my semi-private diary online. I feel like it makes what I write less contrived if I don't think a lot of people I know are reading it.

:) Thanks for your comment though.

Debbie said...

You're right...the marathon is not a made for TV event and the commentators didn't help. Scott loves to point out that the biggest topic of discussion was over the ladies sharing or not sharing their water bottles. What an aggressive sport. =)

Michelle said...

Thanks for sharing your highlights and observations. I agree that marathons are not meant for watching...But they sure inspire me to want to become that! Woo-Hoo! Training hard, for sure.

Anonymous said...

I agree with many of your thoughts about the Olympics, but not on your opinion of NBC's coverage. I miss the years when they actually showed all the various random sports. It seems this year, with all the online events, that they showed fewer random events during prime time. I was also annoyed at how they delayed the prim time broadcast for us on the west coast. When stuff happens live at 10pm eastern, we can watch it live on the west coast too. And, they showed WAY too much beach volleyball. I was beginning to think that was one of the only sports of the Olympics. And the gold medal soccer matches were only available online or on Telemundo.

Okay, wow. This comment got a lot longer than I intended. I had no idea I had so many thoughts about Olympic TV coverage. =)