Friday, August 22, 2008

My Goal as an Educator

At a conference I was asked what qualities I would like my students to have in 5-10 years. I came up with seven. I don’t know what to title all of them, and I may revise the list over time, but below are my initial thoughts. I shouldn't be surprised that only one directly relates to mathematics. Teaching math is my job description, but not necessarily my primary objective.

Lifelong Learner- Always seek to gain further understanding in all areas of life

Perseverance- Sometimes things are tough, but we still have to get through them

Integrity- "Doing the right thing even when no one else is looking." (I got that definition from one of my students during a class discussion)

Problem-Solving Capacity- Increased ability to think and reason

Expression- Ability to express oneself with words

Appropriate Conduct- The knowledge and understanding of the appropriate way to act depending on the situation

Consideration/Selflessness- There are other people in this world besides you; act like it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Problem solving capacity is directly related to math. Isn't that what we spend all this time teaching them?

Michelle said...

Good goals! You're a great teacher, Kevin! :-)

Vickie Musni said...

Those are awesome goals, little brother. I am convinced that if I would have had you for a math teacher in Jr. High, it would have made things better for me in high school and college.

Ryan said...

You should add:
Freedom- The ability to avoid being incarcerated.

Anonymous said...

one of my favorite questions to ask potential employees in an interview is to define "integrity." the answer you have here is the same answer my district manager once gave me, and the one i look for in the interviews. one of my favorites; glad someone else has heard and likes that definition. :-)