Sunday, November 22, 2009

For over a year now I’ve posted a column weekly on this blog. I write with the intent to entertain the reader. Usually, I depict a situation that I found humorous. Sometimes just a story that I think is interesting. Occasionally, I broach a topic to provoke thought or discussion. A couple times I’ve done a book review. But always I tell the truth. I take events that have really happened and write them in a way to provide enjoyment for the reader.

This week I got an e-mail from a friend: “Hey Kevin - I'm organizing a for-fun fiction writing project: Fifty-four short stories, each one based on a Mexican loteria card... Interested? Let me know; I'll draw you a card.”

What? Fiction? How should I respond? Isn’t it every writer’s dream to write the great American novel? Not mine. I dream one day of writing a memoir. Should I just tell him that I don’t write fiction? But why not? Am I not creative enough to do so? Step out of the box, Kevin. I accepted. I drew #13.

I started brainstorming possible ideas in my head. Each time I came up with the same question. Why? Why would anyone want to read that? Why do people read fiction? I thought of some ideas: Interesting stories, humorous situations, to provoke thought or discussion, anything that might bring enjoyment to the reader.

How do people begin writing? (This question is not rhetorical; feel free to respond.) Do you just start with an idea for a plot and go from there? Personally, I felt I needed to find a reason first, and then come up with a plot. What do most authors do?

I thought of a moral dilemma for my protagonist. I don’t have an age, gender, or setting for the main character, but at least I have start. This could be fun. Thanks Ryan.

1 comment:

Vickie Musni said...

Is it finished? Will you be posting it soon?