Tuesday, July 29, 2014

My Last AVID Class

It has been over 30 years since the first AVID class began in San Diego California. Now it is a huge program all over the country and international as well. I had the opportunity to start AVID at Einstein Middle School and be the coordinator and teacher for the last several years. I just finished my last year with program. At the end of each year I have my kids write me a letter telling me anything they would like to say. Here are some excerpts from my AVID students of 2013-2014:

I really can’t thank you enough because I don’t think I would have made into West Campus without all the practice you gave me and the other kids with writing. To be honest, I thought I wasn’t going to be cool with anybody in the class until TRF groups came and everybody started to get to know each other. Before I joined AVID, I thought college was way out of my range and that once you got in you’ll be stressed the hell out all the time. I thought that the only way for me to go college is through athletics, but no, you made me believe that sports is not the only thing on my side. I can make it in academics and I will do good in college because you trained to go into college prepared. Thanks for all your stories and knowledge!

Thanks for teaching me about ELA and mathematics because those were my worst areas. I think I will do better in high school and college because of you.

I just want to thank you! Thank you for not letting me regret choosing AVID as my elective. You have inspired me to actually think about what I want to do in college. Thank you for telling me that school is a game and you have to play it RIGHT! Thank you for the field trip and parties. Now you can remember me and Abrea for teaching you the nae nae. Mr. Burrill you’re the funniest teacher EVER! But overall, you made my last year at Einstein the best. Oh, and thank you for all those perseverance movies. I learned a lot from those. It taught me to never give up on something your really want to do.
This was one of the bet classes I had in my life. I never thought that AVID would help me and be so fun. One thing I learned is that college is very important.

I learned that I need to be more assertive as I express myself. You are one of the most funniest teachers I had so far. You’re not afraid to speak your mind and that’s what I admire about you. I also learned a lot of life lessons from you that could help me as I get older. I like how you sometimes get off topic because you want to tell us your experience on certain things. You try to help all your students from now to sometimes high school. It’s fun that I had you for two periods because it is cool how you treat your kids.

I’m really glad I chose AVID for my 8th grade elective, although I’m disappointed that it’s the last year here at Einstein. You’re a great teacher especially when teaching AVID. Throughout the school year you have helped us realize many things like: not caring what other think of us, having integrity, not always being passive. I think it’s cool how you can tell us a story and turn it into a lesson. Hopefully you and Stephanie last long, and hopefully you won’t get so bothered about her shoes everywhere.

I hope AVID comes back in the future because this program is very helpful and fun… We’ve had lots of laughs and serious moments. You taught me how to use perseverance and follow my ambitions.
In the beginning of the year, I didn’t even know what a thesis was, or what a topic sentence is. Now I know what both of them are and more. I know a lot more thins, and I want to thank you, because you’ve made me open my eyes and realize that I needed to get my priorities straight.

You inspired me and are one of the people who actually is keeping me a live because you showed me that there are people who care. Crazy right? Ha.

Most of the time in classes you can be mean at some times, but that taught me that not everyone you meet is going to be nice.

I wish I had a few more days to spend at school so our class could have more fun together.

You taught me a whole lot about life and how to succeed and I really truly want to thank you for that. Your cold hard truths you did with us really impacted my life. The best part about class was our stories. You told us a lot of superfluous information but oh boy it was funny.


I am very sad that Einstein AVID is coming to an end. AVID was really fun this year. I learned how to write a lot better! I am going to miss this class. I’m glad that we are the last AVID class at Einstein because we were obviously the best class ever! Listening to your stories about your crazy ex-girlfriends were the best part of this class. Next year I will come back and say hello. I really liked the cold hard truths when we actually did them. I learned a lot from those… Don’t forget about the best AVID class you have ever had!

I won't.

No comments: