Sunday, September 16, 2012

From the Students

Last year I had my students write me letters at the end of the year. Some students express gratitude and appreciation, some students are more ambivalent, and many are extremely honest. I have some notes from my one AVID class, and also other comments from my math students.

We can start with AVID:


I love how you teach the class, but I like it more when you’re tired and don’t teach at all while we watch the movie.

You have pretty eyes for a teacher and you don’t dress like a dorky teacher and your funny when your not being mean.

Something you are really good at is normally always getting students to want to do something, but sometimes you start yelling at us for no good reason, and we can’t understand anything you write. I unfortunately am getting almost as bad as you are, and I need to work on it too.

P.S. Don’t wear the shirt next year AT ALL, I will be back to ask.

This year has been really fun. I liked our field trip, our newspaper fashion show, and our story times. Everyone got to make new friends and come together as a family—even Brian.


From my math kids:

P.S. sry if I spelt things wrong

Surprisingly I’ll also miss your handwriting.

Mr. Burill you are my favorite teacher I felt you were the the only teacher that probably cared about me and wanted me to do good your the funniest teacher I had ever had I learned a lot in your class you me a lot ever sence I came to your class I will visit you all the time with Ajene aha well Mr. Burill you’re the best thats all Hope I see you next year Promise I’ll Visit Have a great summer

Maybe this year she will learn to occasionally use some punctuation.

Sometimes I couldn’t quiet follow your odd teaching. But I liked how you would tell your life stories, mostly about your womens! Anyhow, I want to thank you for trying to help me walk by the extra credit assignment, even if I didn’t do it, because obviously I’m such a badass.

This year in your class I hated a lot. And I loved a lot, and I learned more than you would know! Not just Algebra, but as a person. It sounds weird and lame—especially since you’re talks were the cheesiest I’ve ever heard. But you always kept it real, and that’s something I admire because not a lot of adults will do that with teenagers. I appreciate that you told it to us straight knowing that we could handle it. I know period 2 wasn’t your favorite (my sources tell me it was period 4. Really Mr. Burrill?)
p.s. get married soon so your kids next year and years after won’t have to hear about the different vets or whoever you’re dating now. And if you ever actually have kids, try to have more/better patience. Babies don’t like to be yelled at for not remembering the Quadratic Formula.


2 comments:

Nicole said...

That last one was wrong. You totally need to yell at your future children for not remembering hte quadratic formula. =)

Anonymous said...

From studetns made me crack up, my uncle works with highschool kids and probably gets the same responses haha :)