Sunday, June 19, 2011

Thoughts from my 14-year-olds

At the end of every school year I have my students write me letters to say good-bye. Here are some words directly from my kids:

This class has always been fun even though it is only math.

This class is theee funnest class next to Mr. Kennedy and Mr. McKenna.

When you teach us math you make sure we understand it so that we’ll pass our tests, and if we don’t understand it you sometimes yell, pretty LOUD, or hit us with your paper! Anyway, it was fun in your class. I had a good time.

I also learned that I am bad at algebra, but mostly cause I spent most of my time day-dreaming, not to say your class was boring but when we were just talkin about math it wasn’t exactly fun, but really what math class is.

High school’s gunna be tough without you tutering me (or however you spell tutering).

It’s not that you’re a bad teacher I was just lazy and immature.

p.s. I’ll try not to be late for class next year.

Since being in your class I have learned many things. These things have been about math and about life. You are the best teacher ever. Some things I have learned are completing the square, you have also taught me to not let anyone bring you down about something. Whatever I do when I get older I will remember that so I won’t fuck up my life or my dream.

I just wanted to say you’re the best Algebra teacher ever and class this year has been very good. This year I learned more stuff from your class, like poker tips, tips on girls, and a lot about math!

Thanks Mr. Burrill you actually got me to like math lol. But the reason I was messing up at the end of the school was… Idk maybe I just got lazy or probably cuz Charisse broke up with me. Haha. Oh, well I didn’t really like her anyways. So yea thanks for everything you did to help me. H.A.K.A.S.
p.s. I get to walk, woohoo!
Another p.s. H.A.K.A.S. means have a kick ass summer

This year being in your class I actually learned something.

Don’t retire because you’re tired of all us 8th graders. When I have kids, you better be here to teach them because I recommend each and every student to bet taught by you.

I learned hardly anything this year, but your class was one of my favorites.

I told the sevies to be excited about you, but don’t get on your bad side. Not that I’ve seen your bad side nor do I want to! I’m so happy you’ve been my math teacher because you’re great at teaching and being funny! You need to teach Mr. McKenna how to be funny because he is not funny at all! He really isn’t. Well math is very hard and not fun, but you made it easy and fun.

You are an amazing teacher, scary at times, but amazing.

And even though I did not pay that much attention in class, I still enjoyed the class.

You are probably the loudest and funniest teacher I have.

Dear Mr. Burrill,
When I go to high school next year I am going to be a freshman. So that means I will need a senior girlfriend so people know I’m cool.

I loved being in AVID. It was what I looked forward to every other day.

Dear Mr. Burrill,
Your one bamf. You make math fun. Your class has always been my favorite class this year. You’re an awesome sauce teacher and you better stay ninja! Thanks to you I finally understand algebra better than I did. You give really good life lessons and Its cool to me how you actually want to change a students lives somehow. You dress like your secreatly gay (: Its kind of amusing saying that. Stay an awesome teacher because you are the bee’s knees.

You’re much more than just a teacher Mr. Burrill. And I’m glad I taught you how to delete you’re ex-girlfriend from your contacts, so you would stop buttdialing her.

Memba dat time wan you sent me to room 1 k’uz I didn’t hav ma notebook out. I was hella Mad at chu, I was like wow blood why he do dis shit to me. I was mad but, I got ova it b’kuz I realized dat I was wrong n’ not chu. So days’ past and the school w. yough is great you taught me how to do the quadratic fourmula it was light-weight hard fo me but is goodthie thou. All I got say is thank you for the wonderfull year, you’re the best math teacher. Love ya…

When you’re old and you hair starts to fall out I’m going to be on my high horse, remembering everything you taught me.

You make my day better because when you’re in a good mood you’re fun, and when you’re in a bad mood you’re funny.

4 comments:

Vickie Musni said...

I wish I had a way to "like" my favorite comments individually. I lol'd several times...teach Mr. McKenna to be funny and be here when my kids are here were a couple of my favorites..

Ryan Miller said...

Mr. McKenna is still there?!?

Anonymous said...

How funny, and sweet, and funny. It's always nice to be appreciated, or at least acknowledged, for what you've done. I'm sure they will all have good memories of your class.

Astrid said...

These are soo sweet and so true! I still keep up with my 8th grade math teacher. And he taught us about poker and girls and a lot of math, too! Guess that kind of info just sticks! LOL