Sunday, October 24, 2010

It's Mi-kay-lee

I teach five classes, and I tell my students to give me three weeks to learn their names. Maybe this year I should have asked for more time.

I have four students named Alexis, three of them female. I have two Isaiah’s in the same class and two Kenneth’s in a different period. I have two Yulia’s. 2nd period has three Tayler’s. Also, in that class are Keiliyah and Kei’laja (but don’t worry those names are pronounced completely differently.)

Just two days ago I heard one of Raechele’s friends call her “Rachel” even though all year I’ve been calling her “Rachelle.” Turns out it’s pronounced “Rachel.”
I also slaughtered Michele’s name when I made the silly assumption of calling her “Michelle.” I should have known if you misspell Michelle it’s pronounced Mi-kay-lee.

In one period I have Aeakira, Cadaya, Virydiana and Waraguru. It took a little practice, but I finally say all their names correctly. Monserate is also in that class, but fortunately he goes by Mo.

And when I made new seating charts last week I unintentionally sat Yulia next to Julia.

I have three kids that go by their middle names despite the roll sheet listing their first names. Among them is Judith Holly Wood. (Yeah. On her papers she writes “Holly Wood.”)

Believe me folks. I can’t make this stuff up.

I didn’t even mention: Runako, Daysia, Aniyah, Tania, Kauron, Ke’Andre, Emoni, Janez, Berenice, Yelena, Leziya, Sevan, Goharik, Kashiemar, Leziya, Leparis, Zakiya, or Chanoy.

7 comments:

Debbie said...

Does this affect the names you will give your own children someday? Pretty amusing. It sounds like Danyka's class.

The Bailey family said...

I like those names! I've got an ok group this year - but some interesting ones like D'Aldo, Princess, etc. Love the names people come up with, I never realized I could just put a bunch of consonants together with a vowel or two and call my kid that...

Jeremy said...

Wait, you've got a Sevan but not a Soda? Maybe Sevan's got a sibling named Soda.

Honestly, some of those look like the word verifications on blogger. My w/v is cidetr. It's possible!

Kevin said...

Debs,
I'm not sure if this will affect my own kids.

Jeremy,
Maybe I'll have a cidetr next year.

Dustin,
Why don't you go ahead and put another comment listing the names of your own children. I'm sure they would could have been mentioned in this column.

Julie said...

Oh my gosh...how on Earth is that pronounced Mikaylee? LOL

Anonymous said...

Kev- are you still teaching in America? :) You should assign them all a 1 page report on the story behind their names, that would be interesting. Dave

Anonymous said...

I'm always called Michelle. I don't get mad about it, and I stopped correcting people a long time ago, but my close friends and family call me Mikaylee. But Michele, when it is spelled with one L is the Italian spelling, and it Italy, it is pronounced Mi-Kel-E. So, it is the correct spelling of the name. The French spelling is Michel, if you're a boy, and Michelle, if it is feminized.