Sunday, July 18, 2010

Bathroom Conundrum

The left side of the stall (right side if you’re already sitting) contained a stainless steel contraption holding the toilet paper and seat covers. The top of it provided a nice little platform just large enough for me to stand the papers I received when I registered in the morning. After using the toilet I picked up both my bags off the floor (they gave me another bag when I registered) and I headed to my 9:00am session.

I chose a table and met two of the 2,200 educators attending this AVID summer institute. Soon after sitting down I realized I left my registration papers in the stall. I immediately headed back to the bathroom. But of course, the first stall, the one I had used earlier, was occupied.

However, I noticed the stack of papers I left stood higher than the top of stall wall.

It would be very possible (and I think fairly easy) to just reach up and grab the papers. He may not even notice.

What am I to do in this situation?

Several possibilities crossed my mind.

None of them that involved speaking to a stranger sitting on the toilet seemed like a good idea.

So I just did it. I reached up, grabbed the stack of papers and...

As I thought the smooth acquisition was occurring I heard something fall to the ground. Oops. I muttered, “Sorry” as I began to walk away. The poor guy on the john said nothing.

On my way out of the bathroom another guy says to me, “That was awkward.” I guess he witnessed the whole thing. He added, “But you got the papers.” At this point I still wasn't sure what had fallen to the ground, but I didn’t feel like staying in the bathroom long enough to figure it out.

Back at my table I realized which paper it was-- the blue cardstock one which had contained my name tag and the day’s agenda. I asked the guy next to me for his blue paper so I could see if there was any pertinent information I would need before continuing my day.

While looking at his paper I realized a couple of things. One: it was clearly smaller in size explaining why it fell when I snagged the others. Two: There was a paper somewhere in the bathroom on the third floor that read, “Welcome Kevin Burrill.”

I headed back to the bathroom for the third time that morning. The bathroom was now empty and my blue cardstock paper was on the floor of the adjacent stall. Maybe it slid right through the air past my silent friend.

I picked it up and took it with me.

2 comments:

Vickie Musni said...

Best bathroom story I've heard in quite some time!

Brittney Beck said...

I would have failed miserably in that situation as well.