Sunday, April 19, 2009

Another Perk of Running my own Business

I used to paint houses in San Jose. I started my business in 2000. It was my main source of income for about a year. When I moved back to San Jose I painted houses occasionally until I moved in 2003. I haven’t painted a house or lived in San Jose since I started teaching full-time in the fall of ’03.

I recently received this letter:

Dear Kevin J Burrill,

You were recently chosen as a potential candidate to represent the professional and business community of San Jose, California in the Biltmore 2009 Honors Edition of Who’s Who Among Executives and Professionals.

We are pleased to notify you that your candidacy was formally approved February twentieth, two thousand nine. Your confirmation will be validated within seven business days following our receipt of your enclosed Verification.

The Publishing Committee selected you as a potential candidate, based upon your current standing as well as criteria from executive and professional rosters. Given your background, the Publishing Director believes your profile would make a fitting addition to our Honors Edition publication.

Wow. That’s great. What an honor. This isn’t just based on my “current standing,” but also I met the “criteria from executive and professional rosters.” Who was on the committee that managed to find me so quickly by February twentieth, two thousand nine? And who spells out February twentieth, two thousand nine? Nice job Biltmore. Keep up the good work finding other top San Jose executives like myself.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I am cracking up outloud! That was HILARIOUS!!!!

Michelle said...

My first thought when I read the title was, "Wait, Kevin does not own his own business. He's a teacher. What?"