Sunday, March 1, 2009

Living in a Fantasy World

Is fantasy sports destroying real sports? Grown men (and women) sit at their computers and "manage" a fake "team" trying to beat their friends. Now, if I go to a sports bar I may see the same guy rooting for two different teams. He doesn't even like either team; he is just cheering for his fantasy players. What's the problem? The actual game itself isn't interesting enough? We need to create a little fantasy world to give us something to cheer about. There is now fantasy everything. Fantasy soccer. Fantasy Golf. Fantasy Poker. It is getting a little ridiculous. I, and a lot of other men out there, recognize what is happening... and we love it.

This year alone I am going to play in fantasy baseball, basketball, and football. Three baseball teams. Three different types of football leagues. And I'll probably do a bracket for March Madness. (that's all I know of for now.)

If that isn't ridiculous enough... Recently I've been participating in some mock baseball drafts. This is where baseball nerds go to practice picking their teams, for a league that doesn't even exist, so we can be better prepared when we pick our players for our actual fake baseball league. Somebody stop me. It's getting excessive.

I hope we draft soon, because this fantasy is consuming my thoughts. Thankfully, I was thinking about what to write for this column tonight so I didn't participate in another mock draft.

My league has 12 teams. I pick 7th.

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

You should organize a Fantasy Fantasy Baseball league. You would manage a "team" of Fantasy Baseball league managers and score points based on their teams' performances AND on how well they make mid-week trades, bench players, etc.

Ryan said...

I think you should play Fantasy Baseball in the literal sense: dragons on the field, fairy outfielders, leprechaun umpires...
I'd watch that.