Sunday, January 18, 2009

"Rewards" Program

Earlier this week I called the bank, and after answering my question the banker suggested I consider a rewards program for making purchases with my bank card. He informed that I could earn one point for every $4 I spent. Points could be redeemed for things like airline miles and unwanted kitchen appliances. He later added I could earn one point for every $1 spent using my Wells Fargo credit card. He could not tell me how many points I needed to earn miles, but offered to transfer me to a sales associate.

So at this point I had no idea how much a point was worth. Fortunately, being a math teacher, I did know this: I could accrue points four times more quickly if i used my credit card instead of the ATM card. Reluctantly, I agreed to be transferred.

The sales associate looked at my accounts and immediately told me that I was not eligible on my current credit card because I was already enrolled in a cash back program, but suggested I add the rewards program just to my ATM card. I learned that once I earn 25,000 points I got a 500-mile voucher, and after 50,000 points I got 1000-mile voucher.

So basically, all I had to do was spend $100,000 on my ATM card to earn my first plane flight. So if I started using my card exclusively maybe in four or five years I could finally fly to LA. Unfortunately, I'd have to look for work once I got down there because it would take me at least another four years until I was able to get back home.

I didn't enroll in the rewards program. I didn't even ask how many points for the immersion hand mixer blender chopper.

However, I did inquire about the cash back program, in which I apparently was already a member. So far, without knowing, it I had already earned $80. I just had to ask for it. There was no fee for this program; they just give me money. I don't know when I signed up for that, but that was a good idea. I went ahead and asked for the $80.

I'm sure glad I asked to be transferred.

3 comments:

The Bailey family said...

A little lacking this week, aren't you?

Michelle said...

That's fantastic! I'm glad you got your $80.00!

Anonymous said...

yo, this was funny.