Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Good Stuff

We all have simple pleasures in life, and also pet peeves. Things that make us smile and things that drive us crazy. I decided to record some of my feelings in this blog. After much deliberation I came up with a name for each of the lists. The list of things I like I'm going to call "Things I like." The list of the aversive I'm going to call "Things I don't like." This is going to be an ongoing blog that I will add to as I think of more stuff.


Things I like:
  • Going to the bathroom and finding the toilet seat already up
  • Uninterrupted sleep
  • Unlocked doors
  • Playoffs
  • Good salsa
  • Bunting with runners on first and second with nobody out
  • Eating a home-cooked meal, especially one cooked by someone else
  • Competition
  • Straight-forward women
  • Kings that hold up
  • Good stand-up comedy
  • Beer
  • Getting put to sleep
  • A drying rack for dishes (drying dishes is the only household chore I can think of that I can not do, and come back later and find it done)
  • Forever stamps
  • Having the weather warm enough that I can open a window during the day even in the winter
  • Days off work
  • Assigned seating on airplanes
  • Non-stop flights (let's not be too greedy: short layovers)
  • Air-drying after I shower
  • Spanish Language Schools in other countries

    Things I Don't Like:
  • People driving slow in the fast lane
  • Having to unlock the dumpster to throw away my trash
  • California cell phone laws
  • New versions of Microsoft Office
  • That high-pitched really annoying noise made by certain old sinks and showers if they're at a specific water pressure.
  • Showers and sinks that make that noise
  • People wearing handsfree devices in public talking on their cell phones
  • People wearing handsfree devices in public and not talking on their cell phones
  • Clocks that tick loud enough that I can hear the ticking
  • People being inconsiderate
  • Students that sit there in class not doing anything
  • Losing
  • Getting put to sleep
  • Getting my impacted wisdom teeth out
  • Drive-thru's
  • Listening to "commercial free" radio tell me who sponsors their station, and then listening to them asking me to donate. (I'm sure the rest of the audience, besides me, would be outraged if they went to commercial advertising).
  • People with joint blogs that give no indication of which person is writing the blog.
  • People that call, "shotgun"

11 comments:

Trevor said...

Hi Kevin,

Just wanted to let you know that we're trying to increase the traffic on your blog. We enjoyed your lists (hurry, you like me) and agree with many (though not all) of your likes and dislikes.

Happy New Year!
~Mittens and Treasure

Trevor said...

I meant "hurray", not "hurry". oops

~Mittens

Louise said...

I'm just amused that to post this comment I will have to type "weatiose"

Debbie said...

So the analyzer in me is wondering if you counted to make sure that your lists were equal. Yes, the nerd in me is shining at the moment. I was counting to see if you were more optimisitic or pessimistic. Hmmm...can't tell.

Ryan said...

What do you think about people driving the speed limit in the fast lane to get around someone driving slower than the speed limit in the slow lane? I ask because ... I am that person. (The one driving the speed limit, and also aware that the person behind me in the fast lane wants me to go faster, which I would be happy to let them do, as soon as I get around this person driving 59 mph.)
If Trevor was behind me in this situation, he would probably say, "Hurry, you like me."

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with the students who sit and do nothing. What's the point of you coming to school if you're just going to sit? I'm always telling my kids that being a lump is not a choice.

Jeremy said...

Ryan - I think what K means by "slow" is anything slower than what he happens to be driving at that very moment. So, yeah, you're probably in the Do Not Like list. Get him a beer or a home-cooked meal. Good luck.

Trevor said...

Things I don't like: people that write a whole story as a lead-up just for a one-liner at the end making fun of me.

Just kidding, I love it when that happens.

Good times.
-T

Vickie Musni said...

I had as much fun reading your friends' comments as I did reading your post! Your blog would be on my "Things I like list" if I had one...

Rebecca said...

Definitely on my "don't like" list is being the passenger when Ryan is that annoying person in the fast lane.

Michelle said...

Yeah, the wisdom teeth one scares me. I still have not gotten mine out. They don't actually fit in my mouth. Yikes.
I also like straightforward women
and straightforward men.