Sunday, October 5, 2008

Bridge to Bridge

We started running at 9:00am. I should have known it was going to be a long day when toward the end of the first mile an old guy passed me wearing a shirt that read, "start slow, and tapor off from there." Then during the 2nd mile I was passed by a guy pushing a stroller. Lots of people were going by me, and I was not going by lots of people. Fighting through a chest cramp, my pace was slow and arduous.

I finally passed a few people while going up the steep hill, but I think they passed me right back when we returned to flat ground. Then after three miles I had a cramp so bad in my right side I took a break to walk. I wondered, "Where were the bands, the music, and the people chearing me on?" I searched for motivation within, as two more guys pushing strollers ran by me.

I turned the corner and saw the beautiful Golden Gate Bridge. A 7,000-foot bridge should not be one's destination. When I can see the finish I want to know that the end is near. That thing is visible from a pretty good distance.

I knew at some point the race would split and particpants would choose the 12 kilometer option or the 7 kilometer option. They need to make that decision come sooner. After three miles is not the best time to present a struggling particpant the following options: Continue straight and jog a few hundred more yards and stroll on into a relaxing finish, or turn right and continue to endure over four more miles of pain. Choose wisely, and choose now. I turned right.

I said earlier this week, "Once I get through the first two miles the rest is easy." Not true today. I eventually hit the four-mile mark, which was my toughest mile of the day. I'm still trying to figure out how many miles it was from the four-mile marker to the five-mile marker.

This was my first time running the Bridge to Bridge. I had heard of the race years ago, but never participated. I didn't even know that "Bridge to Bridge" was actually just the short name of the race. The colloquial shortcut consistantly used by particpants because nobody wants to say the race's entire name, "The Bridge to Bridge and then make a U-turn and keep running, haha." See, it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

Actually, the U-turn at the Golden Gate was inspiring. My body was feeling better and I even picked up the pace (slightly). Now, I was headed back toward the finish. It was comforting seeing a slew of people that were still behind me, and some of them even looked like they were struggling more than me.

Now my right foot was hurting, but I kept on running. I finished strong. I made it.

After the race we went out for lunch and my brother-in-law asked me if I wanted to run a half-marathon with him.


"Why not? That was easy."

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Did you train at all for it? That makes a HUGE difference!! You can do the 1/2 if you train. (It's never easy, though.)

Debbie said...

nvI thought it would be fun to run with you guys but I only run three miles on the eliptical. Maybe someday. Good job for sticking it out.

Debbie said...

oops...the nv got in there somehow.