Saturday, October 14, 2023

Student Letters 2023

Once again, I’m reminded that much of our influence as educators we never know. We can only hope that we are positively impacting the lives of the young people in our classes. However, at the end of the school year I have my students write a letter to me and I get the chance to hear from them. This is why I’m glad I do what I do. I told them they could write anything they want to me but let them know I do appreciate if they include things they learned and things they will remember from my class. This is from my last year as a teacher at McCaffrey Middle School.

Here is what they had to say:

I enjoyed our acceleration blocks together. It helped boost up my grade. What I will remember from this class are the art contests you had. I won a few of them. Thank you for being such a supportive, understanding, and kind teacher for 7th Grade 2023.

I really didn’t believe in myself before coming to this class. This class, well this teacher has taught me so much and because of him I am good at math and a better person. Your the best teacher ever Mr. burrill. Thank you so much.

I learned a lot of great things and lessons from your class. I learned obviously math, but I also learned other lessons from the talks we had and the poster you made for your kids. …in elementary I was struggling a lot with my classes math especially, but this class helped me with that problem.

…but you taught me how to believe in myself and to don’t talk bad stuff about me.

All I wanted to say was one thing… do more comidy. its so funny.

Dear Mr. Burrill, Thank you for teaching me very important things. Like, how hot your wife is, how you are a man magnet, and if you should, or shouldn’t pay extra for Chipotle guac. (only if you’re rich) Thank you for also teaching us less important things like πr squared sounds like area to me and when I need a circumference i’ll just use πd, and pi r to the third over 4 and i’ll probably never forget that. Thank you for being a great math teacher.

Dear Mr. Burril, This year of school has probably been one of the best years I’ve had in a while and you were a big part of it. I learned a lot this year from you and I appreciate how you let us in your classroom during the mornings and lunch even when we were super loud and silly. I will always remember this class not only because of what you taught me but also how you taught it. My favorite thing we learned this year was when we found volume of various shapes. Overall, you were my favorite teacher this year and I appreciate all that you’ve done.

Something I enjoyed about this class was moving into random groups around the room. Although I struggled and was challenged a bit in the beginning, I overcame it and had a fun time in this class. Something else I enjoyed in homeroom was all the story telling and laughs!

One thing I enjoyed about this class was how we had fun ever day in this class.

You have made me actually enjoy math this year, and I look forward to coming to this class every day. Last year math was probably my least favorite subject, and just being in this class made it my new favorite. I have learned so much in this class that I will remember all throughout school and maybe longer. Just you being my teacher and teaching me all these amazing things has made me want to pursue a career that has to do with math in the future. I really appreciate everything you have taught me this year and no matter what the topic was you were able to teach it in a way where I am able to excel and enjoy it. I hope I have as good as a math teacher next year, but that seems a little impossible.

Dear Mr. Burrill, Thank you for teaching me that you can not add 3c + 5a. I never knew that. Thank you for being my math teacher.

Something I learned from you this year is math and that people change. You helped me get over losing my childhood bestfriend by teaching me new things even if it’s about math or real life or people.

Some thing I have enjoyed was 10-star notes I liked to have convos and help as well as good advice. When I go to 8th grade I will remember the big ideas it meant a lot thank you again!

Dear Mr. Burrill On the first Tuesday of the school, we were learning about PEDMSA. When I didn’t write the words and instead wrote the signs for Pedmsa, you hit me on the head. When you did that I knew you weren’t afraid to diciplen your students. Also, thanks for teaching me advanced math.

Dear Mr. Burrill, You’re an amazing math teacher, and you’re very funny. One thing I learned this year was how to combine like terms. I had a great year with you and I’m sad you’re leaving. You should become a sub for 8th grade, that would be a great idea. Something great that happened this year is when you let us watch movies and the world cup because we didn’t have to do work. I’ll miss you.

You will be greatly missed by everybody who had the gift of Being in one of your classes. You wont be forgotten about even if you are leaving to another school.

I like the way you teach and I think it’s crazy that you are 16 years of teaching and you are this short. I think you are good at teaching and you should continue but I wish you said more bad words.

I am glad that I had you as my seventh grade teacher. I learned some interesting things this year, such as the formula to find the area of a circle, or if you wear a hockey jersey to a fast food restaurant, you get a free burrito. Besides the math, I thought this class had a good sense of humor and enjoyed coming here everyday. I hope you and your family have a great summer!

I’m sorry I wasn’t the best in your class but trust me you taught me so much and how you taught me to never give up on something and to try your best at something hard.

Something I Enjoyed about this class was that we did not just learn math we got int groups and solved it together.

Dear Mr. Burrill (fav teacher), I learned to never take my family for granted. I enjoyed how well you taught and tried to help everyone understand. The thing I will remember is your stories and your jokes. Hope you have a great summer and spend a lot of time with your family.

Dear Mr. Burrill, You were the best math teacher ever. I learned alot from you. When I first came into this class I didn’t like math at all. I was also not good at it and I thought it was boring, but you made it fun for me and now I love math and like to learn it so much that I do IXL at home for “fun”. So thank you for being the best teacher I could have. I will remember a lot from this class because of you.

I will remember that in this class we actually had to do work, unlike all the other classes where we can actually do whatever we wanted.

I enjoyed doing random groups of 3. Something I wont forget is the 10 star notes. I had a lot of fun in this class. I actually liked math this year.

Thank you for teaching me how to do algebra. I always thought it was going to be hard but I guess you just made it easier for me to learn like how you did it. I liked the movies you played some were cool. I also liked the 10-star notes they taught me alot about you and just life. I was the one that wrote what to do if you are scared of losing someone.

Thanks for being one of the best math teachers ever. I will always remember the time when you fat shamed those candles. Also I always loved the art contest you made. Although you never allowed me to sit next to Mariano, Landon or Colin during class I still had an amazing year being here. Also the way you teach class is very good so keep up the good work. I hope you have a good and blessful life with you, your wife and kids.

Dear Mr. Burrill, Hey! By the time you get around to reading this I won’t be your student anymore. I was in your 3rd period math class at MMS, and the kid who’s Dad got mad that my final grade was a 95.3%. But, he’ll get over it. I really want to thank you for being my favorite math teacher—ever! And that’s because when I was stuck and confused on the material being learned in class, you took the time to make sure I understand it, even if everyone else in the class understood it before me. That means a lot—especially teachers in the past never cared that much—so thank you. The way you taught math helped me understand it, and remember it. The one thing I learned, that I pray to remember—is how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide fractions. Apparently, you just multiply the common factor to the denominators of the fraction, and once you have the denominators the same, just add them normally. So, thank you! With all my respect, ST

Thank you for teaching me and putting up with me and Maddie. You were a great teacher and your influence on me and countless others wont be forgotten!!

I have really enjoyed this years math with you. You made it a fun experience for everyone that attended including me. You were never down or grumpy. There was always a smile on your face, you always made people laugh. While math isn’t my best subject and never really was, I felt that I tried my hardest whenever I was in here. I managed to keep an A all of trimester 3. I am super grateful to have been a part of this classroom. Thank you so much!

Dear Mr. Burrill, I will always remember my negative and my positives because of you! As well as my algebra, without your’e help I wouldn’t know math. I know I said that math isn’t my favorite class but threwought the weeks Ive been realizing how great my math class is. Im not the biggest fan at math but it’s not about that it’s more about my classmates, you and the memories I made in this class. I Enjoyed the group work, guess the number challenge. Something I remember is the big Ideas and how homeroom Friday’s were always one of my favorites because of the story times!

Something I will remember from your class is the group whiteboard things we would do because I feel like it’s something different to do.

I’m proud of myself because I thought I would have a bad grade in your class but apparently no because of the way you would teach.

I really learned a lot from you like PEDMSA and pi and stuff. The stories you would randomly tell us were pretty interesting. I’m pretty sure the card tricks and side stories will be pretty memorably to me and many other students.

…but what Mr. Burill mostly taught me was how to get through life with all his stories he told. Something I will remember about this class is that I could always figure out the math no matter what.

Back then I would usually get D’s or C’s in math, but with your help, I got A’s and B’s. I couldn’t thank you enough for helping everyone get a deeper understanding with math and I truly appreciate it!!

Dear, Mr. Burrill I will always remember how you Tried to make me better in Life and how you taught us so well. I will miss you.

Dear Mr. Burrill, I learned a lot this year and really appreciate you for trying your best to explain it to us. I enjoyed it when we worked in groups of 3. Something I will remember from class is “never give up and even if you don’t think you got it, it just matters you did your best no matter what.” Thanks Mr. Burrill when you talked about life problems and stuff you had going on it kinda made me upset cause it got me thinking about my parents and I always thought it was my fault they left. But I really appreciate it cause the motives we talked about made me feel better because now I know I’m enough. But thanks for being our teacher and for telling us we are enough. 😊

No comments: