Sunday, March 13, 2011

Baby Shower

Within ten minutes of his arrival Gio, feeling out of place, says to me, “I don’t feel like this is a co-ed baby shower. I feel like it is a women’s baby shower, and we also got invited.” Despite a house full of women there were only four men at the shower. Gio. Me. Brian (the host—okay let’s be honest: the husband), and Kevin, a recent boyfriend of one of the attendees. Brian, Gio and I have worked together for years; we were each meeting Kevin for the first time. Gio relaxes after a bit, and we even happily participate in the shower activities. We opt for a break after trying to identify the melted candy bars in the “stinky” diapers.

Gio, Brian and I head to the garage to play a round of darts. Within one minute of our garage arrival Kevin walks out to join us. We all three instantly realize what we had done. We left Kevin in there alone. We apologized. The amount of time it took Kevin to find us in the garage is still one of the funniest things to me about the entire day.

After we finish a round of darts we return to find the women are in full present opening mode (I don’t think the absence of the men made any difference to them). With all of the living room seats taken the four of us guys end up in the standing room only section watching the festivities from the adjacent room.

Then I come up with a brilliant idea. After a brief discussion we agree on the details for our wager. Gio gets the stopwatch ready. How many times are we going to hear the word “cute” in the next five minutes.

“Everyone think of your guess in your head.”

“Ready?”

“Got it.”

“17”

”14”

“12”

“18”

This was the best baby shower game ever. We used hand signals across the room to help us tally the results. We tried to not be too obvious with our laughs, but it was pretty funny every time we heard a “cute.” Once we hit the 19th one we knew I had won. I think the total ended up being 21.

After the five minutes there was still a lot of presents left to open.

“Want to play again?”

“Sure.”

“How about the number of times we hear ‘I love that.’?”

1 comment:

Vickie Musni said...

I guessed 56. Aren't you glad I was wrong?